If there’s one bonus miles earning credit card on the market in Singapore right now that you want a decent sign-up bonus to be on offer for to ‘take the plunge’, it’s surely the revamped HSBC Revolution card, now boasting one of the widest ranges of useful everyday eligible bonus spend categories.
The card picks up 4 miles per dollar for online and contactless transactions, and recently it started supporting Google Pay as well as Apple Pay, for those with Android devices keen to keep their wallets light, or go wallet-free, and leave the physical card at home.
Good news is that the S$200 sign-up bonus with just S$500 spend has been extended for applications made by 30th June 2021.
If you haven’t added the card to your wallet yet, don’t miss our 10 good reasons to do so.
Sign-up bonus: Up to S$200 cashback
The extended sign-up bonus for the HSBC Revolution credit card is worth up to S$200 cashback, with the minimum spend requirement to qualify set at only S$500.
That’s the equivalent of 40% cashback on the first S$500 spend, and don’t forget the card is fee-free.
To be eligible, you’ll need to be a new-to-bank credit card customer.
- do not currently hold any existing HSBC credit card*
- did not cancel any HSBC Credit Card* within last 12 months prior to the approval date of their new card
Note that currently holding (or having recently cancelled) an HSBC Visa Infinite card does not exclude you from this sign-up promotion, but other HSBC credit cards do.
For example, if you are a current HSBC Visa Infinite cardholder and also previously had an HSBC Advance card, which you cancelled in April 2020, you will be eligible for this offer.
Here’s how the deal works:
Successfully apply for the HSBC Revolution card between 1st May 2021 and 30th June 2021. Your card must be approved and issued by 15th July 2021.
Meet the following spend on your new card:
|Apply online via MyInfo||S$30 cashback|
|First spend||+ S$50 cashback|
|S$500+ spend||+ S$120 cashback|
Initially you’ll be entitled to S$30 cashback by applying online with MyInfo via SingPass.
With this offer you’ll then get S$50 cashback for any spend on the card, but you’ll want to be maximising your cashback by ensuring you rack up S$500+ spend to unlock an additional S$120 cashback, for a total of S$200.
The qualifying spend period for the sign-up bonus is based on the date your card account is opened, as follows:
|Card Opening Date||Qualifying Spend Period|
|1 – 31 May 2021||1 May – 30 Jun 2021|
|1 – 30 Jun 2021||1 Jun – 31 Jul 2021|
|1 – 15 Jul 2021*||1 Jul – 31 Aug 2021|
* Applies to applications submitted by 30th June 2021, where the card account is then opened in early July 2021.
Obviously you’ll be wanting to tap into the card’s (relatively easy) 4 mpd categories for that minimum spend itself too, so don’t forget you’re good for 2,000 miles (500 x 4) for those transactions, which can be as simple as grocery shopping at Giant or Cold Storage and a series of Deliveroo orders.
Remember that qualifying spend relates to posted retail purchases, so be careful not to leave your S$500 minimum spend towards the very end of the applicable period, since it can take around three days for transactions to post to your account (e.g. a purchase made on 30th June might not post to your account until ~2nd July).
You will receive the cashback as a credit to your account by the end of the month following the Qualifying Spend Period (i.e. by 31st July 2021, 31st August 2021 or 30th September 2021, depending on your card opening date).
Existing HSBC cardholder?
If you do not fulfil the new-to-bank criteria outlined above, there’s nothing special in store for you with a new HSBC Revolution card unfortunately.
In this case, you’ll be entitled to S$30 cashback for meeting the same S$500+ qualifying spend criteria, in accordance with the same spend periods listed above for new-to-bank cardholders.
You can also earn an additional S$30 cashback when you apply online with MyInfo via SingPass, for a total of S$60 cashback.
Remember if you’re only holding an HSBC Visa Infinite card, you’ll still be eligible for the main S$200 cashback sign-up bonus.
Your minimum spend of S$500 to qualify for this sign-up bonus does not include the following categories:
- Foreign exchange transactions (including but not limited to Forex.com);
- Donations and payments to charitable, social organisations and religious organisations;
- Quasi-cash transactions (including but not limited to transactions relating to money orders, traveler’s checks, gaming related transactions, lottery tickets and gambling);
- Payments made to financial institutions, securities brokerages or dealers (including but not limited to the trading of securities, investments or crypto-currencies of any kind);
- Payments on money payments/transfers (including but not limited to Paypal, SKR skrill.com, CardUp, SmoovPay, iPayMy);
- Payments to any professional services provider (including but not limited to GOOGLE Ads, Facebook Ads, Amazon Web Services, MEDIA TRAFFIC AGENCY INC);
- Top-ups, money transfers or purchase of credits of prepaid cards, stored-value cards or e-wallets (including but not limited to EZ-Link, Transitlink, NETS Flashpay and Youtrip);
- Payments in connection with any government institutions and/or services (including but not limited to court costs, fines, bail and bond payment);
- Any AXS and ATM transactions;
- Tax payments (except HSBC Tax Payment Facility);
- Payments for cleaning, maintenance and janitorial services (including property management fees);
- Payments to insurance companies (including but not limited to sales, underwriting, premiums and insurance services);
- Payments to educational institutions;
- Payments on utilities;
- The monthly instalment amounts under the HSBC Spend Instalment;
- Balance transfers, fund transfers, cash advances, finance charges, late charges, HSBC’s Cash Instalment Plan, any fees charged by HSBC;
- Any unposted, cancelled, disputed and refunded transactions.
Terms and conditions
Full terms and conditions for this sign-up promotion are available here:
If we haven’t mentioned it enough lately, the HSBC Revolution’s “revolutionary makeover” last year has made it an essential part of your miles earning wallet in the 4 mpd category, and the card now benefits from no annual fee (forever).
While this sign-up bonus doesn’t include any additional miles, a S$200 credit gift for a spend of just S$500 is equivalent to 40% cashback if you hit the minimum spend exactly.
Even if you already hold an HSBC Visa Infinite card, you’re eligible for this deal.
Fee-free and fuss-free, with a wide variety of useful everyday spend categories, you just need to keep your eligible spending at less than S$1k per calendar month then switch to other cards after that – simple.
Even those with other 4 mpd cards should find some useful benefits by adding this one to their wallet, with the potential to turn S$12,000 of annual spending into 48,000 miles, enough for a Singapore Airlines Business Class award to Japan!
For full details on this card, don’t miss our updated comprehensive review.
Links on Mainly Miles may pay us an affiliate commission.
(Cover Photo: Shutterstock)